"We remind you that the messages we have heard during this conference will be printed in the November issues of the Ensign and Liahona magazines. As we read and study them, we will be additionally taught and inspired. May we incorporate into our daily lives the truths found therein."
~Thomas S. Monson

Friday, November 20, 2009

Gaining Spiritual Guidance

Well, it's Friday already. Hopefully you've been able to read your first two talks by now. I have to agree with the comment Pam made on my last post -- there is A LOT of focus here already about living worthy of the Spirit and then following the inspiration we receive.

I loved Elder Scott's talk, and yes - I already have quotes to print out and stick on my fridge. I think my favorite was this one
"The Lord will not force you to learn. You must exercise your agency to authorize the Spirit to teach you."
I think it definitely makes a difference in my life when I 1. Pray and ask the Lord to send me inspiration, 2. Pray that I will recognize the inspiration when it comes and 3. Act on the promptings I receive. President Monson reminds us here of the advice to "Pray as though everything depended upon God; Work as though everything depended upon you." So we should be praying hard for the inspiration to come and then working hard for it to continue. I've even been trying to act on promptings when I have no idea if they are actually promptings or not (although we know that if it leads us to do good, then it's from Heavenly Father, yes?) and trying to learn how to recognize that inspiration more easily. And I can tell I need a lot more practice! But that's what it's all about right? So what have you been doing lately to "gain spiritual guidance"?
***
P.S. I absolutely LOVE the picture on page 9. I dunno, just something about it...

No comments: