"We remind you that the messages we have heard during this conference will be printed in the November issues of the Ensign and Liahona magazines. As we read and study them, we will be additionally taught and inspired. May we incorporate into our daily lives the truths found therein."
~Thomas S. Monson

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

"The Power of Covenants"

The lessons on Sunday in Relief Society and Priesthood were amazing! (Thanks, Sister Vi & Brother Paul!) As Adam and I were discussing the lesson after church, he made a very interesting observation. He said that the more he learns about people who have very strong testimonies, the more he realizes that those people have strong testimonies BECAUSE of their trials. I guess I had never really thought of it that way before, but I completely agree.

As I began to read Elder Christofferson's conference address Sunday afternoon, I quickly realized that it goes right along with the lessons we had just had, and backs up Adam's observation. Elder Christofferson talks about "the power of covenants" and how the covenants we make -- particularly those we make in the temple -- give us strength to face whatever lies ahead of us. He mentions how our covenants give us "the continual flow of blessings promised by God", "the faith necessary to persevere...in times of trial", and "the bestowal of divine power" or power of godliness. I love how he says "Our covenant commitment to Him permits our Heavenly Father to let His divine influence flow into our lives. He can do that because by our participation in priesthood ordinances we exercise our agency and elect to receive it." Isn't that amazing? Just by our participating in those ordinances, we are showing our willingness to honor our covenants and showing that we are prepared to accept more responsibility that comes along with added light and spiritual power. Wow!

As I said, this talk goes right along with the lessons on the temple we had on Sunday, and how temple worship is our source for strength and power (as Elder Scott said), as well as showing that through our trials we are strengthened when we stay focused on those covenants and keep an eternal perspective. It all fit together so perfectly; at least for me.

The part of Elder Christofferson's talk that I want to print and stick to my fridge (I have a feeling that my fridge is going to be pretty full by the time this challenge is over...) is the second to last paragraph of his address. He says:

"Divine covenants make strong Christians. I urge each one to qualify for and receive all the priesthood ordinances you can and then faithfully keep the promises you have made by covenant. In times of distress, let your covenants be paramount and let your obedience be exact. Then you can ask in faith, nothing wavering, according to your need, and God will answer. He will sustain you as you work and watch. In His own time and way He will stretch forth his hand to you, saying "Here am I."

And finally, he says "I testify that God will keep His promises to you as you honor your covenants with Him." Now that's an Apostle's promise that sounds pretty good to me. Isn't it great? Oh, how I love the temple! :)

4 comments:

Janna M said...

Thanks so much for doing this. I have read the articles and you get so much out of them and then I read your thoughts on them and get even more. You are great!!!

Barbara said...

I have felt that it is becoming harder and harder to not let our "hearts grow faint" at the challenges of our day. I felt impressed as I read these talks, that it is the power of the temple, and our covenants that will provide the strength we need to "press forward" through our trials. I know people whose lives were changed from attending a temple open house...the powerful spirit they experienced gave them the power to make the desired changes in their lives.

Misty said...

Barb - I totally agree. Isn't it amazing what the temple can do --- even before it's dedicated? If it has that much power before, imagine the strength it gives us once it is dedicated! (Well, I guess you don't have to imagine...you feel it every time you go!) ;)

Pam said...

I loved that part of the talk too, pretty powerful and thought provoking!! I also loved how he talked about the power and influence of the Holy Ghost in this talk!