"We remind you that the messages we have heard during this conference will be printed in the November issues of the Ensign and Liahona magazines. As we read and study them, we will be additionally taught and inspired. May we incorporate into our daily lives the truths found therein."
~Thomas S. Monson

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Prayer & Promptings

So I read President Packer's talk this morning while I was on the Elliptical (does crying while you work out burn extra calories?) and suddenly remembered why I loved it so much when I first heard it. As a matter of fact, it was our Family Home Evening lesson the 2nd week after General Conference (the first being Elder Bednar's talk).

The thing that hit me the most today were these two quotes: "This process is not reserved for the prophets alone. The gift of the Holy Ghost operates equally with men, women, and even little children." and "That same Spirit can prompt you and protect you."
All my life I've heard those amazing stories of someone following a prompting and seeing remarkable manifestations of why they needed to follow that prompting. I guess I *know* that it happens and that it can happen for me, it was just really good to hear President Packer remind me that the principle is true, and is "not uncommon in the Church...[these experiences of prompting and prayer] are part of the revelation our Heavenly Father has provided for us."

Being an animal lover, the story of Bossy Cow really stuck out to me. She had just had a calf but was not expected to live through the day. President Packer's son praying for her simply said "Heavenly Father, please bless Bossy cow so that she will get to be all right."

President Packer continues: "I told of the incident and said, "[My son] must learn that we do not get everything we pray for just that easily." There was a lesson to be learned, but it was I who learned it, not my son. When I returned Sunday night, Bossy had "got to be all right.""

I know that Heavenly Father hears and answers our prayers. I'm grateful for this awesome reminder from President Packer. It's what I needed to hear today.

2 comments:

Cathy said...

I loved this talk too! We all need to be reminded of the things we already know, but usually forget to apply in our lives. And I was so happy for Bessie. :)

Cathy said...

Oh--and I love your picture!! Aww!