"We remind you that the messages we have heard during this conference will be printed in the November issues of the Ensign and Liahona magazines. As we read and study them, we will be additionally taught and inspired. May we incorporate into our daily lives the truths found therein."
~Thomas S. Monson

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Let's Chat!

Well, I know it's only Wednesday, and I know we had three talks to read this week, but they are pretty short. So what did you think of them? Last night as we were visiting Sister Diann (100% Visiting Teaching this month! Let's do it!) she mentioned Sister Lifferth's talk and how she liked the point it brought up of Sacrament Meeting beginning with the prelude music, not the opening prayer. That's tough for me! By the time I get my little family into the chapel, I'm feeling so frazzled (and honestly just happy to be there!) that it takes me a few minutes to settle down and focus. I know that we can teach reverence and respect to even the youngest child, but how? How do (and did) all you Moms do it?

I also loved Brother Neider's talk and the story of Matt Anderson - the teachers quorum president who learned Spanish so that he could fellowship and reactivate the members of his quorum. I had forgotten the story until I read it over this time. I love that while addressing the youth, Brother Neider says "You are powerful tools in the Savior's hands, and He can use you to bring the blessings of the gospel to others." Then, to the Bishops he says "Do not overlook the strength and skill of your Aaronic Priesthood quorum and Young Women class presidencies. The Lord needs them in this important work. There are hearts they can reach and work perhaps only they can do." Hearing reports of the Youth Conference our Stake just held last week backs up Brother Neider's words -- our youth are capable of anything! Isn't it amazing?

Finally, Elder Packer's talk which gives us a step-by-step guide in learning to receive and recognize inspiration. I love the quote he uses from Dallin H. Oaks, "Testimony is to know and to feel, conversion is to do and to become." Wow. Do I need to hang that one up on my fridge, or what? This talk really made me think about my own level of conversion, about the way I seek for inspiration, and the revelation I most likely receive that I miss because I'm looking for some big manifestation. Finally he says, "This witness is not limited to the leaders but is available to all men, women, youth, and even little children." Isn't that one of the great, unique things about our religion? That not only do we have a Prophet on the earth to receive revelation for the church as a whole, but we are also able to receive personal revelation from a loving Heavenly Father? How blessed we are!

So what about you? Is there something that stuck out to you? One talk you liked best? I wanna know!

6 comments:

Janna Manookin said...

I like the saying Know and Know that you Know. I want to display this thought all over my house, the kids bedrooms, bathroom, fridge.

Misty said...

Janna ~ I totally agree! It makes me wish I knew how to needlepoint. :)

Vietta said...

"Respect and Reverence". Misti and all you Mothers with little ones - please don't give up. It is so easy to see your child's misdeeds and get impatient. Remember how little they are and that they really will grow up, sooner than you realize. I remember when my children were little, Bob and I got so discouraged. We spent more time in the foyer than we did in the chapel. I thought many times that my children would never learn to behave reverantly. I saw other families in church whose children seemed to sit peacefully listening without a single peep and then there were mine - wandering all over, heads in the floor with their feet in the air! Just remember that NO ONE see's half the things you see, NO ONE is judging you - especially those of us who have had little children (we know what it is like and we don't expect perfection - quite the opposite in fact). I learned that having something for them to do was helpful, but I also tried to teach them respect for the Sacrament by telling them they couldn't get out their coloring or quiet toys till after the Sacrament was over. I've also allowed my children to go to the bathroom - as often as they ask. We used to try to limit them, but this became a point of contention and finally I started just saying "OK, but be back here in 5 minutes." That way they knew they couldn't just go playing. But on the whole, they are watching you and will try there best to follow your example. The hardest thing to do is to #1- allow them the time they need to learn and #2- Try not to see their behavior as a reflection of you or your parenting skills. (keep in mind-no one is judging you) Reverence and Respect is learned by seeing others, especially their parents. Just keep coming to church and don't give up.

Misty said...

THANK YOU VIETTA!! I needed to hear this today (and especially from you since you sat behind us in Sacrament Meeting! :) ) It's very reassuring to know that most of you have 'been there' and understand, and equally reassuring to know that you made it through alive! :D

Vietta said...

All I saw in Church today was two very cute blond boys with two very good parents. :)

Vietta said...

As I was reading Bro. Neider's talk "Revealed Quorum Principles" it occurred to me that an aronic priesthood quorum is the exact opposite of a street gang. Yet is incredibly similar. It is a place where there is a brotherhood, every young man is accepted and given duties to perform. It is a group of young men who seek for power. Isn't it interesting that Satan is so good at imitating and twisting truth and right into something terrible. Young men are attracted to these street gangs because of the need (yes, I would say "spiritual need") they have to be part of a "quorum". Something in them desires that brotherhood that comrade and yes, to seek the power of god. But they are deceived by the craftiness of the evil one. We must do all we can to raise righteous young men and support them in their priesthood duties. That they may become great missionaries and bring these lost boys home to where they truly long to be. The power of truth, honor and humility in the hands of our youth is our greatest hope for the future.